Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Toddler Catch 22

The husband is in Orlando on "business". Days spent in an exhibit hall scoring new leads, answering emails & attending conference calls, spending evenings having fancy dinners & representing the Lakers at the Magic saturated ESPN Zone. Add to that a nice quiet hotel room that someone else cleans for you. After 3 full days & nights alone with a 3 year old, it sounds like a vacation to me!

Being new to the Stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) thing, I must admit that I feel EXTREMELY grateful to have this opportunity. It is something that I have dreamed about since I went back to work when B was 9 months old. However, even though it is a blessing, I refuse to pretend that it is all roses and rainbows. This is tough. Especially when John is away. He is a hands on dad and his presence in the evenings is a much needed mental break for me.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one that has the screamed the following in thier head: 1) SHUT THE HELL UP!!!! 2) STOP TOUCHING ME!!!! 3) GO AWAY!!!! Ok, it may just be in my head, but it still makes me feel guilty. And, I will admit, milder versions of these same sentiments have been spoken out loud frequently in the last couple days.

There's a catch 22 known to all parents. Just when you get what you want (peace & quiet), the worry sets in. The problem with toddlers is that just when you get your much needed silence, you remember that a silent 3 year old out of your line of sight is NOT a good thing. It can mean bad stuff, including but to limited to: 1) half a case of organic milk boxes opened & emptied on the kitchen floor, 2) Vaseline spread all over the couch, 3) kitten smothered under a blanket, 4) crayons used on the walls....etc, etc, etc...

This week I have found a temporary wormhole in this reality. Temporary because, as with all things toddler, I have learned that solutions to my frustrations are most times transitory and I refuse to get my hopes up or get attached to my new found distraction. I bought tempra paints for the afore mentiond Father's Day gift & threw some paint paper in the cart as well. SCORE!!! Brayden will happily sit and paint for up to an hour, as long as I am willing to refill! So, this is my grateful item of the day.

ps: If you are currently following this blog, or would like to start, you can now follow on facebook by clicking on the button on the left under "networked blogs". thanks for playing =)

No comments:

Post a Comment