Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recipe Wednesday: Easy Chicken Marsala Casserole

I'd like to post a favorite recipe once a week, and Wednesday seems as good a day as any. I'll try to keep them as quick, easy, nutritious & kid friendly as possible. Can't please everyone on the last note, and since I have a kid that eats close to anything (I know, I'm bragging) I might fail with the picky eaters. I'll give you a heads up to any potentially offensive ingredients up front so you don't have to waste your time reading if it's not going to work for you.

For the first recipe I'm giving you what the Pintos will be having for dinner tonight. This Chicken Marsala Casserole is super easy, very yummy and includes most everything for a complete meal. I sometimes serve it with garlic bread &/or a side salad, but often it hits the table on it's own. I'm not a big casserole fan, yet this has been a hit.

This is a recipe that I have modified from one that is in the Trader Joe's Cookbook, which is to say, if you don't shop there, you probably won't have access to all the ingredients (especially the sauce). But if you are an exclusive TJs shopper like me, you'll love that you don't have to hit another store for that one ingredient they just don't have!

Not a crowd pleaser for:
Vegetarians (even if you leave out the chicken, the sauce has it), mushroom haters, brocoli haters

Easy Chicken Marsala Casserole
serves at least a family of five (mix of kids & adults)

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups (one 10 oz pkg) fresh refigerated Cheese Tortellini, uncooked (don't use dried)
  • 4 cups (1lb) cooked chicken (I usually get a 1lb pkg of chicken tenders- they are cheaper- or defrost 3 or 4 frozen chicken breasts & simmer in H2o until JUST cooked through)
  • 1 pkg of TJs Shredded 3 Cheese Blend
  • 2 jars (12 oz each) Marsala Sauce (not to be confused with MASALA Simmer Sauce)
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth (I get the Organic Free Range)
  • 4 cups (a little less than a whole 16 oz bag) of frozen brocoli, thawed....you can use fresh if you'd like, but I never have :)
Instructions:
  • Cut Chicken into chunks
  • Layer tortellini, chicken, 2/3 of the cheese, and brocoli (in that order) in an ungreased 9x13 casserole dish.
  • Combine both jars of sauce & the chicken broth and mix until combined. Pour this mixture over the casserole.
  • Spread remaining cheese over top. Cover with foil
  • Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil & continue baking for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is completely melted & bubbly (YUMMMY!!!)
One last thing. Adeana over at "Five's a Crowd" has spiffied up her blog and I encourage you to take a look. She is an incredibly busy mom to 3, a great writer, and incredibly honest! Here's her link: http://5sacrowd.blogspot.com/ . Also, for those with an interest in natural products, check out her other endevour at http://booksandbubblebath.blogspot.com/

Hasta!

1 comment: